Traveling with young children is a treat. A lot of the things you take for granted can seem so fresh, viewed through your children’s eyes. However, traveling with young children also puts certain limits on the activities you can do.
But worry not! This is a thorough travel guide to visit Abu Dhabi for families with younger children. On your next family getaway, fly to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, then drive ten minutes to Abu Dhabi’s entertainment and adventure hub, Yas Island Abu Dhabi. Then try the following things to do in Abu Dhabi!
Best things to do in Abu Dhabi for families with small kids
1. Slide and ride at Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi for families
Yas Waterworld is a mega water park. It has more than 40 slides, rides, and incredible experiences on offer, so it is a definite must-visit on your family trip to Abu Dhabi. Here, your kids will definitely enjoy paddling and splashing about in the water.
There are different levels of thrills available, but for families with young children, the following are sure to hit the mark:
- Water Wars. Your kids will love this activity, as they’ll hear the whoosh of water balloons flying in the air and see the splash the balloons make when they break on each target. To play, just buy a bucket of water balloons, divide yourself into two teams — or choose to play individually — sound the go-signal, aim, and fire!
- Amwaj. Amwaj is the largest wave pool in the Middle East, and the gently ebbing and flowing water is best for floating, swimming, and paddling, even for young children.
- Marah Fortress. Ask your kids what they want in a water playground, and they would surely describe Marah Fortress. It’s just wholesome, active water fun with slides, water cannons, dumping buckets, and water geysers.
- Yadi Yas. Team up and ride a swim tube for some wadi river adventure. Hold on tightly to your tube as vigorous pulse waves propel you down the Yadi Yas Crazy River.
- Al Raha River. For pure relaxation, ride a tube down the Al Raha River. You don’t need to do anything. Just lay back on your tube and let the water guide you through waterfalls, rain showers, and lost caves.
- Cinesplash. This is like no cinema like you’ve ever been to before. At Cinesplash, you’ll experience the animated film being shown on 5D. Yes, it’s better than the 3D set you have at home because your chair will move, you’ll get splashed on and, oh yeah, the cinema will fill up with water, too. It’s only up to your knees, though, so it’s perfectly safe.
2. Zoom and race at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is another theme park at Yas Island Abu Dhabi that families with younger children would absolutely love, and it has lots of fun family activities in store for you and your young ones.
Here are a few things to do in Abu Dhabi for families with small kids:
- Formula Rossa Junior. Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is world renowned for having the fastest rollercoaster in the world, the Formula Rossa. However, if your children don’t meet the minimum height requirement or are too young for this iconic ride, you and your family could ride its miniature version, the Formula Rossa Junior.
- Flying Wings. Flying Aces, a wing coaster ride with the tallest non-inverted rollercoaster loop in the world, is another fast thrill at Ferrari World. However, younger kids can enjoy its mini version in the Flying Wings.
- Nello’s Adventureland and Junior Training Camp. Toddlers and younger children will have so much fun exploring and bouncing around in the soft adventure play area that is Nello’s Adventureland. Meanwhile, more adventurous children can run, race, and test their climbing prowess at the Junior Training Camp.
- Benno’s Great Race. In this family adventure, your entire family (up to five members) rides a Ferrari car and helps Benno, the main character, win the race. As your ride journeys along Benno’s enchanting, oversized world, you’ll experience magical special effects and conquer interactive challenges.
- RC Challenge. Head on over to Little Italy, a fantastical miniature that represents the best of the charming Mediterranean country. Once there, just grab a remote for a mini car or boat and start navigating Little Italy’s whimsical waterways.
- Junior Grand Prix. Give your kids a once-in-a-lifetime racing experience. Children get driving instructions then they get to ride perfect Ferrari F1 race car miniatures down the Junior Grand Prix track.
- Galleria Ferrari. While you’re at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, be sure to take the time to visit Galleria Ferrari and gaze in awe and wonder at the Ferrari hypercars on display.
3. Live your fantasy at Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi
You’ve only ever seen them in movies, but at Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi, your favorite characters come to life. Meet Warner Bros and DC Comics characters on the rides, at the outlets, or as they take a casual stroll around the park.
Here are some of the themed rides families with younger children will surely enjoy:
- The Flintstones Bedrock River Adventure. If your family loves the Flintstones, ride a boat and tour the prehistoric world by going on the Flintstones Bedrock River Adventure. It’s Stonetennial Day in Bedrock, there’s a dinosaur on the loose, and you might get splashed on.
- The Jetsons Cosmic Orbiter. Take a spin on a spacecraft, then explore the futuristic world of Dynamite Gulch at The Jetson’s Cosmic Orbiter.
- Scooby-Doo: The Museum of Mysteries. Ride the Mystery Machine and join Scooby, Shaggy, and the rest of the gang in solving the mystery at Scooby-Doo: The Museum of Mysteries.
- The Joker Funhouse. If you are up for The Joker’s challenge, go on this carnival walkthrough, interactive experience. Push your mental and physical limits as you evade tricks, conquer tests and barrel through whatever surprises The Joker has in store for you at The Joker Funhouse.
Three theme parks in three Days
If you want the ultimate family vacation in Abu Dhabi, visit all three theme parks. Not on the same day, of course. There’s so much to do in each one you’d want to devote one whole day to explore every theme park.
For greater value, take advantage of the UAE water park offers available on the Yas Waterworld website. You can get tickets to all three theme parks at a discounted rate. You can also purchase the Stay and Play on Yas offer, which will give you complimentary access to one theme park for every night’s stay.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you don’t miss doing any of the above things to do in Abu Dhabi with your family!
Other articles to help you visit the UAE after enjoying the best things to do in Abu Dhabi
Affordable Abu Dhabi: How to make the most of this incredible city for less
How to travel in Dubai on a budget
Dubai city tours