Although it is smaller than many other countries in Europe, there are many things to do in Belgium for travelers. Getting from one location to another is easy because the cities are close together. Travelers can go to Antwerp to see one of the largest collections of diamonds or Ghent to visit the botanical gardens and castles. Brussels, Belgium’s capital city, is another interesting travel destination to add to your list. And, while in Belgium, you can also go on day trips to London and other capital cities.
1. Visit Belgium’s top attractions
Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Belgium include:
- The Atomium is a large-scale model of an atom. Built in 1958 and featured in the Science Expo that same year, today you can walk around and inside the atom. The Atomium also has restaurants and offers stunning views of Brussels.
- Another draw when you explore Belgium is the Grote Markt or Grand Place of almost any Belgian city. It’s the main town square that is home to markets and cultural events.
- Manneken Pis, a popular fountain with the statue of a little boy peeing, is another Belgian attraction that people enjoy seeing for some strange reason.
- In Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres (or Ieper), where you’ll learn about the First World War.
- The 1815 Memorial Museum is a historical site retracing the battle of Waterloo.
- Gravensteen Castle in Ghent
- Victor Horta Museum in Brussels.
These travel attractions in Belgium are very easy to get to thanks to excellent public transport and they are accessible both by day and by night. You should make a list of all the attractions that you want to see and all the things to do in Belgium that interest you when you’re planning your trip. If needed, you can always change that list as you go.
2. Discover Belgium’s Medieval architecture
The country also has a lot of interesting buildings from the Middle Ages, so discovering its Medieval architecture is among many travelers’ things to do in Belgium. On your Belgium vacation, you will have the opportunity to visit castles, small villages, and towns that have a lot of history, as you’ll discover in Bruges or Ypres.
You will also get to explore famous city centers, cathedrals (each with an amazing belfry), halls, and museums that recognize artists and other creative people throughout the ages. Belgium is home to many important figures who have brought invaluable contributions to the domains of art, music, and literature. And, beyond the cities, you can discover stunning natural reserves, like Ardennes.
Bonus things to do in Belgium
Admire Art Nouveau architecture and design while visiting Belgium. This movement was born in Brussels in the 1890s. It was first adopted by France, and then by the rest of Europe.
3. Try Belgian food and drinks
Besides visiting the best places, eating and drinking are among the top things to do in Belgium for locals and travelers alike. If you enjoy home-brewed beer, then Belgium is a great travel destination to discover more new flavors! There are many breweries and pubs that you can visit during your stay. There are also several bars, cafes, and small inns where you can find fresh seafood, potato dishes, and much more to treat yourself to after exploring some beautiful cities in Belgium. Chocolate is also one of Belgium’s main tourist attractions for a lot of visitors.
Traveling to Belgium is cheaper than visiting some of its neighboring European countries, so you’ll save money while being able to see a bit more of Europe. People traveling to this country aren’t looking for thrilling things to do in Belgium, but rather want to relax and enjoy the company of the locals they meet in the small towns along their way.
When you want to go on holiday and relax in a slow-paced travel destination, then a trip to Belgium is the perfect choice for you!
Things to do in Belgium recommended by…
Mirela Letailleur is a Romanian travel blogger living in the South of France. She writes on The Travel Bunny travel blog about affordable travel in Europe, creator of unique free travel guides, local travel expert. Problem solver. Wannabe coffee guru.
Discover more things to do in Belgium with The Travel Bunny
Visit Antwerp: A brief travel guide
How to travel Europe on a budget
Top 3 travel destinations in the Benelux countries