Full-time travel may be an exciting and gratifying experience for a digital nomad. You may travel the world, encounter new people, and carry out your business from anywhere. But, it’s simple to disregard your health while you travel full-time because of all the excitement and enjoyment.
For digital nomads, maintaining their health is essential, and disregarding it can have a number of unfavorable effects. For instance, if you don’t look after your physical and emotional health, you may feel weariness, burnout, and decreased productivity. Also, becoming sick while traveling may be very expensive and unpleasant, delay your vacation plans, and have a bad effect on your job.
To help you maintain your health while working remotely full-time as a digital nomad, we have put together this piece. We’ll go over everything, from making sure that you get enough sleep and exercise to keeping up a healthy diet and using sunscreen.
That’s not all, though. Also, we’ll talk about the value of travel insurance for digital nomads and give you a brief overview of SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance. We’ll go into great depth as to why we think this insurance is essential for anyone who travels constantly.
So, this post will give you useful information and thoughts on how to prioritize your health when traveling, whether you’re a seasoned digital nomad or just starting started. You may make the most of your trips, stay productive, and prevent health problems that could ruin your excursions by paying attention to the advice and recommendations we offer. So let’s start now!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, The Travel Bunny will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you!
Tips for staying healthy while traveling full time
For many individuals, living on the road full-time might be a dream come true. You get to travel to new locations, see various cultures firsthand, and make priceless memories. Full-time travel, though, might have a negative impact on your health. Living out of a suitcase, traveling frequently, and being exposed to different places can disturb your routine and make it challenging to keep up a healthy lifestyle.
We’ve written this article to provide you with the crucial information you need to maintain your health while traveling full-time. Your health is your most precious asset, therefore we want to help you put it first when you’re traveling. This article is for everyone, whether you’re a backpacker, a globe traveler, or a digital nomad.
So continue reading this article if you’re ready to put your health first while traveling full time and take advantage of all the incredible things the globe has to offer. You can be productive, happy, and healthy while traveling with the aid of my suggestions and tips.
1. Prioritize sleep
Sleep is vital for your general health and well-being, but it’s crucial when you’re on the road all the time. You could always be on the go as a digital nomad, switching between time zones and acclimating to new settings. Many of these things might make it difficult for you to sleep, which can make you feel worn out, irritated, and unproductive.
Sleep must be prioritized while traveling for this reason. Maintaining your physical and mental health as well as remaining motivated, focused, and aware when on the road depends on getting great sleep. Here are some suggestions for sleeping well when traveling:
- Maintain a routine. Maintaining a schedule is one of the finest things you can do for your sleep when traveling. No matter where you are, try to set your alarm for the same time each day. By doing so, you’ll help your body acclimate to the new time zone and create a reliable sleep schedule.
- Establish a sleep-conducive environment. It’s crucial to establish a sleep-conducive atmosphere while traveling. Make sure your bedroom is calm, chilly, and dark to achieve this. Use earplugs or a white noise machine to block out distractions if you’re staying in a noisy hostel or hotel.
- Invest in high-quality sleep gear. The quality of your sleep when traveling may be greatly improved by purchasing high-quality sleep gear. Think about investing in a soft neck pillow for travel, a thin blanket, and a sleep mask to block out any light.
- Avoid stimulants before bed. Because they might interfere with your sleep, stimulants like caffeine and alcohol must be avoided before bed. Instead, choose warm milk or herbal tea, which can soothe you and make it easier for you to go to sleep.
- Use apps and devices for tracking sleep, making your surroundings sleep-friendly, and even waking you up at the ideal moment in your sleep cycle. To get the most out of your sleep when traveling full time, think about using such technologies.
In conclusion, prioritizing sleep is crucial for maintaining good health when working remotely full-time. You can aid your body in adjusting to different time zones, maintain productivity, and take advantage of all the incredible things the globe has to offer by paying attention to these suggestions and prioritizing sleep. So, one of the most crucial things you can do for your general health and well-being when traveling is to get enough sleep.
2. Exercise regularly
One of the most important things you can do for your physical and emotional health is to regularly exercise, and this is especially true if you travel constantly. Being a digital nomad might make it difficult to stay active when on the road, but prioritizing exercise can keep you motivated, lower your stress levels, and enhance your general well-being.
Exercise has several advantages, both psychologically and physically. You can build your muscles and bones, maintain a healthy weight, reduce your chance of developing chronic diseases, and more through exercise. Moreover, it can make you feel happier, less anxious and depressed, and it can help you sleep better. Exercise is regarded as one of the most crucial activities you can do for your general health because it has so many advantages.
But how can you include fitness into your vacation schedule? Here are a few ideas:
- Make the most of your environment. While traveling, make the most of your environment to keep active. In the neighborhood park, go for a stroll, jog, or trek; alternatively, hire a bike and tour the city on two wheels. If you live close to a lake or a beach, you may also attempt water activities like kayaking or swimming.
- Do bodyweight exercises. Movements like push-ups, squats, and lunges may be performed anywhere without the need for any equipment. Think about including some bodyweight exercises in your morning routine or squeeze in a brief workout in your hotel or hostel room.
- Take a fitness class. Many gyms and fitness studios offer drop-in courses like yoga, Pilates, or spinning. Attending a class is a terrific way to remain motivated and meet other travelers who share your interests.
- Use workout apps or videos. There are several fitness apps and online videos available that may lead you through a workout or give exercise motivation. To raise your heart rate, you might use an app that records your progress or watch a movie on YouTube.
- Make it a habit. Lastly, making exercise a habit is the key to fitting it into your vacation schedule. Establish a weekly workout goal for yourself and keep yourself accountable for it. You may also treat yourself to meeting your workout objectives by eating new foods or visiting a nearby site.
To summarize, exercise is an essential component of remaining healthy when traveling full-time as a digital nomad. By including fitness in your vacation routine, you may reap the advantages of both physical and mental health while making the most of your trips. Thus, whether you’re visiting a new city or relaxing on a beach, make fitness a priority and watch your health and well-being improve.
3. Maintain a healthy diet
When you’re a digital nomad who travels the world full-time, maintaining a balanced diet is crucial for your overall health and well-being. A balanced diet may boost your immune system, keep you feeling energized, and lower your chance of developing chronic diseases. Yet, eating well while traveling might be difficult, particularly if you’re often on the move or in a strange place.
To begin with, it’s critical to comprehend the fundamentals of a wholesome, balanced diet. Lean proteins, whole grains, a range of fruits and vegetables, as well as healthy fats, make up a balanced diet. To make sure you’re receiving all the nutrients you need when traveling, aim to incorporate a variety of these food categories in your meal plans.
Here are some recommendations for eating well when traveling:
- Have a plan. Before you go on your vacation, find out which local markets and grocers sell healthy food alternatives. Also, you may carry non-perishable foods like nuts, seeds, and dried fruit with you everywhere you go.
- Stay hydrated. Staying healthy when traveling requires drinking lots of water. Carry a water bottle that you can refill with fresh water with you at all times.
- Opt for local cuisine. Trying different meals and flavors when traveling is one of the finest experiences. Look for grilled fish, crisp salads, or vegetable-based meals while sampling the local cuisine.
- Prepare your own meals. If you have access to a kitchen, think about preparing your own meals. This allows you to regulate the components and ensure a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your consumption of processed foods. Processed foods, such as fast food or packaged snacks, are frequently heavy in calories, sugar, and bad fats. Limit your consumption of processed foods and instead choose full, nutrient-dense meals wherever available.
To summarize, a balanced diet is critical for keeping healthy and motivated when traveling full-time as a digital nomad. You can consume a healthy diet even while you’re on the run if you follow these tips. Remember that eating healthily does not have to be difficult or time-consuming. It may, on the other hand, be a delightful and enjoyable aspect of your vacation experience, letting you thoroughly immerse yourself in different cultures and cuisines.
4. Stay hydrated
Staying hydrated is very important for staying healthy while traveling full time. Dehydration can cause a variety of problems, including headaches, fatigue, and muscle cramps, all of which can impair your ability to be productive and enjoy your trip. That is why, no matter where you are on the planet, being hydrated is vital.
Some of the benefits of staying hydrated when traveling include:
- Enhanced physical performance. Keeping your physical fitness is essential for exploring new locales and taking on challenging tasks.
- Greater energy. Drinking enough water will make you feel alert and energised, however, being dehydrated can make you feel lethargic and short on energy.
- Better digestion. Consuming adequate water can also assist to maintain your digestive system healthy and operating correctly.
- Increased immunity. Staying hydrated can improve your immune system, which is vital for staying healthy while traveling full time as a digital nomad.
So how can a digital nomad stay hydrated? Here are a few tips:
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking a lot of water is the best and easiest way to stay hydrated. Carry a reusable water bottle with you at all times, and fill it up when you can.
- Limit your alcohol and/or caffeine consumption. Avoid ingesting excessive amounts of alcohol and coffee for staying healthy while traveling full time because they can actually exacerbate dehydration.
- Consume hydrating foods. Fruits and vegetables are high in water content, making them a fantastic source of essential nutrients and a terrific method to remain hydrated.
- Think about oral rehydration solutions. If you’re going somewhere with bad water quality, you might want to use oral rehydration solutions, which are made to aid people who are dehydrated.
You can make sure that you’re staying hydrated when traveling by paying attention to these recommendations. It’s also crucial to pay attention to your body’s signals of dehydration, such as thirst, dry mouth, and dark urine. Be careful to increase your water and electrolyte intake if you experience any of these symptoms.
To sum up, drinking plenty of water is crucial for keeping good health and having fun when traveling as a digital nomad. No matter where your activities take you, you can stay energized and healthy by emphasizing water and heeding these recommendations.
5. Protect yourself from the sun
You can find yourself flying to sunny locations with stunning beaches or experiencing cities in the sweltering heat as a digital nomad. While basking in the sun might be fun, it’s crucial to shield your skin from UV radiation. The hazards of excessive sun exposure include sunburns, early ageing, and skin cancer, to name a few. Here are some reasons why sun protection is crucial and advice on how to do it:
- The necessity of sun protection. UV radiation exposure may harm your skin in as little as 15 minutes. The risk of harm increases with the length of exposure. The most obvious impacts of UV damage include sunburns and early ageing signs like wrinkles and age spots, but the most dangerous one is the possibility of developing skin cancer.
- Apply sunscreen. Applying sunscreen is one of the simplest ways to shield your skin from the sun. Apply broad-spectrum sunscreen generously to all exposed skin with an SPF of at least 30. Reapply sunscreen every two hours, or more often if you’re swimming or perspiring.
- Wear protective clothing. Another technique to protect your skin is to wear protective clothing. Lightweight, long-sleeved shirts and slacks made of breathable materials can act as a physical barrier between your skin and the sun.
- Seek shade. Avoiding direct sunlight during the warmest portion of the day (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) can lower your risk of sunburn and skin damage. Seek shade under trees, umbrellas, or canopies to give your skin a respite.
- Wear a brimmed hat and UV-protected sunglasses. Wearing a brimmed hat and UV-protected sunglasses can also help protect your skin and eyes from the sun’s damaging rays.
- Be careful of reflections. The sun’s UV rays can be intensified by reflections from water, sand, and even snow, increasing your risk of sunburn and skin damage. Take extra steps and be extremely cautious in these instances.
By following these recommendations, you can protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun and lower your risk of skin damage and skin cancer. Remember that prevention is usually better than cure, and taking precautions to protect your skin today can help you avoid long-term skin damage and health problems.
Finally, shielding oneself from the sun is an important element of remaining healthy when traveling as a digital nomad. You may enjoy the sun safely and limit your risk of skin damage by wearing protective clothing, seeking shade, and being mindful of reflections. Thus, whether you’re working from a beach in Bali or wandering the streets of Rome, make sure to take care of your skin and protect yourself from the sun.
To summarize, sun protection is an important element of remaining healthy when traveling as a digital nomad. You may enjoy the sun safely and limit your risk of skin damage by applying sunscreen, wearing protective clothes, seeking shade, and being cautious of reflections. Thus, whether you’re working from a beach in Bali or strolling through the streets of Rome, take care of your skin and protect yourself from the sun.
6. Take care of your mental health
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of traveling to new places and seeing new cultures as a digital nomad. Yet, it is critical to consider your mental health while traveling full time. Traveling may be stressful, and the combination of continuously changing settings, professional duties, and the lack of traditional support networks can have a negative impact on your mental health. Here are some suggestions for maintaining your mental health when traveling:
- Schedule time for self-care. Schedule time for activities that you love and find calming. Taking time for yourself, whether via yoga, meditation, or reading a book, can help decrease stress and enhance your mental well-being.
- Maintain contact. Maintaining contact with family and friends can help alleviate emotions of loneliness and isolation when traveling. Make time to check in with loved ones on a regular basis, and consider joining online forums of digital nomads to interact with people who understand the difficulties of the lifestyle.
- Have a routine. Keeping a schedule when traveling can assist give stability and lessen stress. Maintaining a schedule, whether it’s waking up at the same time every day or taking regular pauses for meals and exercise, can help you feel more grounded when on the road.
- Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is important for both physical and mental health. While travel might cause disruptions in your sleep routine, making an effort to obtain adequate sleep each night can assist improve your mental health.
- Get professional help. If you are suffering from persistent anxiety, depression, or other mental health difficulties, it is critical that you seek professional treatment. Many digital nomads find that meeting with a therapist who specializes in working with clients who travel frequently is beneficial.
While traveling, you may lessen stress and enhance your general well-being by giving your mental health priority. Do not forget that maintaining good physical and mental health is equally vital. Make careful to prioritize self-care and seek professional help if necessary whether you’re traveling to new places or working from a neighborhood coffee shop.
Taking care of your mental health is crucial for keeping healthy when working remotely, to sum up. You may lessen stress and enhance your general well-being by engaging in self-care, staying connected, keeping a schedule, getting adequate sleep, and receiving support from professionals when necessary. Hence, while traveling, remember to prioritize and take care of your mental health.
Travel insurance for Digital Nomads
Traveling the world as a digital nomad may be an exhilarating and rewarding experience. Yet, it’s crucial to keep in mind that unforeseen incidents, like illness or injury, lost or stolen luggage, or even canceled flights, can occur at any time. Travel insurance for digital nomads can help with that.
Travel insurance is a crucial purchase that may offer financial security and peace of mind in the event of unanticipated occurrences. It’s crucial to find a travel insurance policy that is tailored to the demands of remote workers since as a digital nomad, you have certain requirements.
We’ll talk about the value of travel insurance for digital nomads, as well as what to look for when choosing a plan. You will also learn about SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance, a comprehensive and reasonably priced travel insurance program created especially for digital nomads and remote professionals. Hence, read on to find out more about how travel insurance may safeguard you and your trips, whether you’re an experienced nomad or preparing for your first excursion.
The importance of travel insurance for digital nomads
One of the key advantages of travel insurance is that it protects you financially against unforeseen expenditures that may develop while you’re on the road. If you are sick or injured while traveling, for example, travel insurance can assist cover the cost of medical expenditures such as hospitalization, emergency medical evacuation, and other medical procedures. These costs can easily build up without travel insurance, leaving you with a hefty financial burden.
Travel insurance can also assist protect against additional unforeseen expenditures, such as trip cancellations or delays, lost or stolen luggage, and responsibility for accidents or injuries while traveling. These kinds of charges can be particularly difficult for digital nomads, who frequently travel with pricey technology and important personal goods.
Another significant advantage of travel insurance is peace of mind. Knowing you have full coverage in the case of an emergency helps reduce the worry and anxiety that might accompany travel. When you have travel insurance, you can concentrate on having a good time rather than worrying about what could happen if something goes wrong.
Lastly, travel insurance can give access to valuable resources and support while on the road. Several travel insurance policies provide 24-hour emergency support, which is very useful for digital nomads who may be traveling in distant or unfamiliar areas. In the event of an emergency, emergency aid can include access to medical advice, support with language problems, and even assistance with travel preparations.
Introducing SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance
Travel insurance is essential for a digital nomad. Unexpected costs can rapidly build up and leave you with a considerable financial burden, whether you’re a seasoned traveler or just starting out. That is why it is critical to invest in comprehensive travel insurance that may give financial security and peace of mind when traveling. And when it comes to digital nomad travel insurance, SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is an excellent choice.
The Nomad Insurance plan from SafetyWing is a comprehensive insurance plan created specifically for remote workers, freelancers, and long-term travelers. Unlike standard travel insurance, which normally provides coverage for a short time, SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance provides long-term coverage that may be paid monthly. This makes it an excellent choice for digital nomads who are continuously on the go and may not know how long they will remain in one spot.
One of the key features of SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is its extensive coverage. The plan covers medical emergencies, emergency medical evacuation, vacation disruption, lost luggage, and even natural disasters. Full coverage allows digital nomads to travel with security, knowing that they are protected against unexpected expenditures and disasters.
In addition, SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance provides valuable information and support when traveling. In the case of an emergency, the plan includes 24-hour emergency support, which may give access to medical advice, aid with language problems, and even assistance with flight preparations. This is especially useful for digital nomads who may be visiting remote or unfamiliar regions.
Overall, SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is a fantastic choice for any digital nomad seeking thorough travel insurance that will give them financial security and peace of mind while traveling. SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is a wise investment for any digital nomad due to its reasonable prices, thorough coverage, and helpful tools and assistance.
Additional SafetyWing Nomad Insurance benefits
When it comes to travel and health insurance, remote employees and digital nomads have particular difficulties. Long-term travel may not be adequately covered by conventional travel insurance plans, and employer-sponsored health insurance may not be offered or may not cover overseas travel. This is where SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance, a complete insurance program created especially for remote workers and digital nomads, comes in.
Medical coverage is one of SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance’s main advantages. Medical crises, hospitalization, and emergency medical evacuation are all covered under the plan. For digital nomads, who can be traveling to strange places and might not have access to high-quality medical care, this might be particularly crucial. Digital nomads may travel with ease knowing that they are insured in the case of a medical emergency thanks to SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance.
SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance gives important travel assistance in addition to medical coverage. The plan includes round-the-clock emergency support, which in the case of an emergency may give access to medical advice, aid with language problems, and even assistance with travel plans. For digital nomads who may be visiting remote or strange places, this can be extremely useful.
Global coverage is another key advantage of SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance. The insurance plan covers travel to any country in the globe, including the traveler’s own country. For digital nomads who may visit several different nations and are unsure about their future travel plans, this might be particularly crucial.
Lastly, SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance price is among its most alluring features. The plan’s pricing starts at just $45.08 per month and is intended to be inexpensive for remote workers and digital nomads. For independent contractors and remote employees who might not have access to typical employer-sponsored insurance, this makes it affordable. SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is a great investment for digital nomads who wish to safeguard their health and finances while traveling due to its reasonable cost.
Overall, SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance has a number of advantages that make it a great option for remote workers and digital nomads. Digital nomads may travel with assurance, knowing they are covered for unforeseen costs and emergencies, thanks to its medical coverage, travel support, worldwide coverage, and inexpensive price. Consider purchasing SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance if you’re a digital nomad or remote worker and wish to safeguard your health and finances while traveling.
How to sign up for SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance
Nomad Insurance enrollment with SafetyWing is quick, simple, and can be done fully online in just a few minutes. An instruction manual for purchasing SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is provided below:
- To start, read about Nomad Insurance on SafetyWing’s website. There, you can get all the additional information about the Nomad Insurance plan and coverage.
- Click the “Sign me up” button to begin entering your trip information. With this, you may access a website where you can enter your trip information, including your destination, dates of travel, and personal data. Based on the length of your trip and the information provided, the plan’s price is determined.
- Examine the pricing and coverage. Following the entry of your trip information, an estimate for the cost of the plan and the specifics of the coverage will be sent to you. Be sure it fulfills your demands and is within your price range by taking the time to research the coverage and cost.
- Purchase the plan if you’re happy with the coverage and cost. As soon as the transaction is complete, you will be registered in the plan after being prompted to provide your payment information.
- Access your insurance details. You will get an email with your insurance records in it as soon as your insurance plan purchase has been confirmed. When you travel, preserve these papers in a secure location and take them with you.
SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is a great option for remote workers and digital nomads because of its simple online registration procedure, thorough coverage, and competitive cost. You can travel with assurance if you buy this insurance plan since you will be covered for unforeseen medical costs and emergencies while you’re on the trip.
What are you waiting for? Don’t let your desire to travel be hindered by your fear of the unanticipated. Subscribe to SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance right away to have the assurance that comes with knowing you’re protected. To begin, click the button below.
Stay safe and healthy while traveling as a digital nomad
Staying healthy when traveling full time should be a key consideration for digital nomads. You can preserve your physical and emotional welfare and fully enjoy your trips by giving priority to sleep, exercise, proper diet, hydration, sun protection, and mental health.
A trustworthy travel insurance plan, such as SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance, may also provide you extra piece of mind by guarding you against unforeseen medical costs and emergencies while you’re on the road. It’s a great option for digital nomads and remote workers who wish to keep safe while traveling due to its extensive coverage, worldwide reach, and competitive cost.
In conclusion, keep in mind to look after yourself when traveling and prioritize your health. Don’t forget to invest in travel insurance, such as SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance, to safeguard yourself. You won’t have to stress about your health or safety when traveling if you keep these suggestions in mind.
Start planning your next journey now, and keep your health a top priority wherever you go!
Featured image via depositphotos.com
Now that you know everything about staying healthy while traveling full time, check out
Life as a Digital Nomad: chasing dreams vs navigating uncertainty
Why we chose SafetyWing travel insurance to go sailing during the pandemic
Travel insurance checklist to avoid the holiday blues this summer