Even though sleeping inside the car is what’s preferred by most car campers, it can be quite uncomfortable if you aren’t used to it. And not everyone can afford buying a camper.
That’s why having a good quality tent to get a good night’s sleep is very important, especially when you’re out car camping. So today, to help you pick the right tent for your next car camping trip, I will review 8 of the best tents for car camping currently on the market.
If at any point you want to know more about any of the amazing tents for car camping on this list, all you have to do is click the check price button and you’ll get to read the full product description on a new page.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, The Travel Bunny will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you!
Eezi-Awn Series 3 Roof Top Tent for Car Camping
First on our list, we have a rooftop tent called Series 3 by Eezi-Awn. It’s a high-quality tent that continues to be the standard by which all other softshell rooftop tents are measured.
Constructed with 420-gram poly-cotton canvas woven with impregnated heavy-duty wax thread, the Series 3 is a tent that can handle all weather conditions. It’s also double-stitched throughout with wax-coated cotton thread for increased durability.
The best part of the Eezi-Awn Series 3 is that it comes in many different sizes. So no matter what your needs are, you’ll easily find a tent size that’s perfect for you. The smallest size of the Series 3 weighs around 110 lbs, sleeps two people, and is perfect for small SUVs. The large tent model weighs around 215 lbs, sleeps four people, and is ideal for off-road cars.
Aside from being one of the toughest soft shell tents on the market, the Eezi-Awn Series 3 is also very comfortable to sleep in. It comes with an inbuilt 2.5″ thick hi-density foam mattress. This mattress is of premium quality and it will help you sleep like a baby when you’re camping.
Also, the Series 3 car tent comes with a universal mounting construction. In other words, you can mount this tent on any roof rack out there! Let’s have a quick look at some other noteworthy features for the Eezi-Awn Series 3 tent, one of the best tents for car camping:
- It includes an aluminum ladder to help you get in and out of the tent easily
- Since the tent is made with breathable material, you’ll enjoy good ventilation inside the tent at all times
- The unique internal bungee system makes it very easy to set up this tent
- It also includes a PVC cover to keep the tent safe and secure during your journey.
BushTec Adventure USA Delta Zulu Ground Tent
Next up, we have a ground tent called Delta Zulu by BushTec Adventure USA. BushTec Adventure is a South African brand that’s been making tough, all-weather ground car camping tents for over 50 years now, so you know this is bound to be great!
Built with 550gsm rip-stop military-grade canvas, BushTec’s Delta Zulu is a perfect tent for you if you plan to go camping in rough weather conditions. It’s completely waterproof (550mm water head tested), meets the CPAI 84 fire retardant requirements, and comes with sewn-in floodwalls.
Delta Zulu is spacious enough to sleep four people. It also comes with an extended porch where you can sit and have a beer with your friends and family. Also, to make sure the mosquitoes don’t get inside your tent and disturb your sleep at night, all the windows in this camping tent include mosquito gauzes.
Let’s have a quick look at some other great features of BushTec’s Delta Zulu, one of the best tents for car camping:
- It’s been wind tunnel tested and it can withstand winds up to 60mph, so you’ll be safe even during high winds
- Straight forward installation process: it can be installed in under 30 minutes
- Includes unbendable ground stakes
- Also comes with inner and outer flaps for extra warmth or cooling.
Overland Pros Anza 2000 5 Person Roof Top Tent
Next on our list of the best tents for car camping, we have a family rooftop tent called Anza 2000 by Overland Pros. The Anza 2000 tent is by far the largest rooftop tent on the market today. It’s the only rooftop tent that has a sleeping capacity of five people. Plus, it offers the option to add an annex / vestibule where you can sleep an additional person. It’s the best tent you can find right now for large family camping.
Aside from being the largest rooftop tent, Overland Pros’ Anza 2000 also has one of the fastest setup times. Even the best rooftop tents take around 1 minute to put up. However, the Anza 2000 can be set up in under 40 seconds without any help!
Another awesome thing about Overland Pros Anza 2000 is that it has huge front and rear windows/doors. When all of them are completely open, this rooftop tent offers an amazing 270-degree view. Also, as the windows/doors are made with breathable materials, you’ll have full ventilation inside the tent even when they’re closed.
Now let’s have a quick glance at some other great features of the Overland Pros Anza 2000 tent, one of the best tents for car camping:
- It comes with a 3″ king-size high-density foam mattress
- The tent floor is insulated to keep you warm during cold winter camping trips
- It includes a 210 Renier rainfly
- Also includes boot bags to store your shoes
- There’s an optional annex that you can add to this tent model.
Eezi-Awn Blade Roof Top Tent
Next up on our list, we have a hard shell roof top tent by Eezi-Awn called Blade. If you are looking for a luxurious option among the best camping tents for your car rooftop, then Eezi-Awn’s Blade tent is perfect for you!
Constructed with a lightweight aluminum body, stainless steel hardware, and 260-gram Teflon-coated polyester ripstop material, this is the best tent that you can rely on during rough weather conditions. Furthermore, Eezi-Awn Blade is designed to last you a lifetime.
Its unique low-profile aerodynamic design makes it very easy to set up and take down. You can set it up and take it down in under 30 seconds, all on your own. When it comes to the mattress, Eezi-Awn’s Blade tent features a premium double-size 80mm-thick mattress. It’s very comfortable to sleep in. Plus, it’s spacious enough for two people (+one kid).
Here are some other great features of the Eezi-Awn Blade rooftop tents for car camping:
- The elevated roof rear lets you store your bedding and other essentials inside the tent when you close it
- Both the floor and the roof of this rooftop tent are insulated
- It includes a National Luna LED lightweight tent light on the interior roof to make it easy for you to light up the tent at night
- Also comes with 4 mounting rails and 4-point DIY mounting hardware set to make mounting the tent on your roof rack easier
- It also includes a ladder with a built-in extension.
Vagabond Lite Roof Top Tent for Car Camping
Weighing just 110 lbs, Vagabond Lite is perfect for small cars and SUVs. It’s a durable rooftop tent that features a foldout design with a sleeping capacity of two people. Constructed with rugged polycotton ripstop fabric and a robust diamond weaved nylon rainfly, Vagabond Lite is a 4-season tent that can keep you safe in any weather.
The Vagabond Lite rooftop tent comes with two clear vinyl skylight windows. They improve your camping experience by giving you the opportunity to enjoy some great views right from your comfy bed on top of your car. Also, all the surrounding windows and the skylight windows can be zipped open completely to improve the ventilation inside the tent.
To prevent moisture build-up underneath the mattress, Vagabond Lite comes with an anti-condensation mat. It also comes with a gear hammock where you can store all your camping gear and other essentials.
Some other noteworthy features of the Vagabond Lite, one of the best tents for car camping:
- The base of the tent is made with plasticized aluminum for extra scratch and dent resistance
- It includes a high density 3″ foam UltraPlush 2.0 mattress
- Also includes a black, heavy-duty, laminated, 720 GSM PVC cover to keep your tent safe during the journey.
Nomadic 4 Person RTT by OVS
Up next among the best tents for car camping, we have another family tent called Nomadic 4 by Overland Vehicle Systems. With an accommodation capacity of four people, Nomadic 4 is the second-largest rooftop tent on this list.
The Nomadic 4 by OVS is made with 600D premium double rip-stop polyester-cotton canvas, so it’s built to handle the harshest conditions you can find yourself in. Also, to keep the water from getting inside your tent during heavy rainfall, it comes with a 420D polyester Oxford waterproof rainfly.
To make sure you’ll enjoy full ventilation inside the tent at all times, all the windows and doors of OVS’s Nomadic 4 tent are made using 120g environmental fadeless gaze breathable material. Also, like the Vagabond Lite above, the Nomadic 4 also has a skylight window on the tent material for rain protection.
Nomadic 4 by Overland Vehicle Systems comes with 5 internal storage pockets which you can use to store your essentials like phone, camping gear, etc. It also includes a shoe bag, a 40″ LED light strip, and a portable handheld LED light with a clip-on and magnet.
Here are a few other awesome features of the Nomadic 4 by OVS, one of the best tents for car camping:
- It includes a 96″ tubular adjustable system with a locking strap
- Also includes a 1000G PVC tent cover with heavy-duty straps
- The base is double insulated with a one-piece diamond plate
- Marine-grade stainless steel hinges and hardware
- It has a weight capacity of 750 lbs
- Comes with a 4-year limited warranty.
Yakima SkyRise Medium Roof Top Tent for Car Camping
Then, we have a 3 person tent for the car rooftop called SkyRise by Yakima. Even though Yakima is a brand that’s primarily known for its roof racks, its line of SkyRise rooftop tents has gained a lot of popularity in recent years because of their quality.
Weighing just about 115lbs, the SkyRise Medium RTT is constructed with 210D lightweight and breathable nylon. It also comes with a 210D rainfly with PU coating to protect you from the elements and to make sure that the water doesn’t enter inside your tent during heavy rainfall.
SkyRise Medium by Yakima includes toll-free vehicle mounts, making it easy to put on and very quick to take off. Also, for added security, it locks to your roof rack with SKS Lock Cores.
Let’s quickly look at some other great features of the Yakima SkyRise Medium, one of the best tents for car camping:
- It comes with a built-in 2.5” thick wall-to-wall foam mattress
- Sleeps three people comfortably
- Able to mount on almost any roof rack
- It includes skylight windows
- Weight capacity of 600 lbs
- All windows come with solid and mesh panels that can be zipped open completely to improve the air ventilation inside the tent.
ARB Simpson Roof Top Tent
Last but not least, we have the Simpson Roof Top Tent by ARB. Manufactured from high-quality, waterproof, poly/cotton ripstop canvas, ARB Simpson is a solid all-weather tent with excellent strength and rigidity.
To ensure that you get a good sleep at night, the ARB Simpson tent comes with a comfortable 2.5-inch high-density foam mattress. Also, all the windows and doors come with insect screens to keep all the bugs and mosquitos from entering your tent at night and disturbing your sleep.
One great thing about the ARB Simpson is that it comes with an annex and you don’t have to buy it separately. You can use this annex as a private room to change clothes or even as an extra sleeping space. It’s spacious enough to sleep one person comfortably!
To make it easy for you to store your essentials, the windows of this rooftop tent come with internal storage pockets. Also, ARB Simpson is designed in such a way that you can store all your bedding, blankets, etc. inside the tent even when it’s completely closed.
Here’s a quick look at a few other features of the ARB Simpson, one of the best tents for car camping:
- It includes a UV stabilized, laminated PVC cover to keep the tent safe and secure during your journey
- Its 1-inch Anodized aluminum tent poles improve strength and have corrosion resistance properties
- It also includes a retractable aluminum ladder
- The unique design of the tent makes it very easy to set up and take down
- The material used for the body meets all fire retardant requirements
- It comes with shoe pockets where you can store away your footwear
- Weighs about 171 lbs.
There you have it: the best tents for car camping!
And that’s a wrap, folks! We just went over 8 of the best tents for car camping that are currently on the market. By now, I hope you’ve found the new tent that suits you best!
If you have any questions and thoughts about any of the rooftop tents for car camping I’ve covered, please contact me and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for reading!